Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Intentions, Interrupted

I picked a 'word of the year' this year, and sometime around September I forgot to remember it. This is odd considering it's been my laptop's wallpaper all year, but we all know the phenomenon of refrigerator blindness and I think this functions in a similar way.

Luckily, my word is 'Grace', so I am letting go of my snarky self-talk and trying again.

You would think that I would take this opportunity to write a little essay on my word and what it has meant for me this year. But this ain't that post.

Instead, I want to tell you about my best intentions. I am great at beginnings, and the enthusiasm of fresh starts, and not stellar at follow through and completion. For example: At the beginning of November, I set a jar on the counter and intended to write little notes each day of things I'm thankful for, and invite Dave and any visitors to the house to do the same. Here is the jar today.



There's a red leaf in there. I put it in there yesterday, a week or so after Dave pointed out that it looked like we were thankful for nothing. My other thought was to take the lid off and say we are grateful for everything, and the jar is a cosmic symbol of the universe.  But it's a cool-looking leaf, so I feel good about it.

I am, as the kids (might) would have said in my day, hella grateful for a lot of things. But I guess I found out that I'm not 'calligraphy on seasonal scrapbooking paper' grateful.

I have a few items of seasonal decor that have sat waiting to be hung up for a few weeks. They will probably see the inside of a box for several months before they see a hanger. I intend to make apple cider donuts this week so that I can hopefully use the cider I bought to replace the one I bought two years ago that sat in the garage and seasoned itself out of drinkability. The sheer number of unfinished craft projects tucked into various nooks and crannies would make some of you cry. Let's all have a moment of silence for my dear long-suffering husband who is tearing up/breaking out in hives just reading this post.

But! Today! I am picking up a long-delayed project and going back to work on a cross-stitched Christmas stocking I started maybe 7 years ago. It's gonna be beautiful sometime around 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment