Friday, November 18, 2016

Our Lady of Perpetual Calendars

Today (November 18) is, as I'm sure you are all well aware, Mickey Mouse's birthday. (I wasn't aware of his birthday until this year, and I'm a big fan, so don't feel bad.) I decided to add this important date to the 'Woodland Creatures' perpetual birthday calendar hanging on the side of my fridge.

Important side note - as a pregnant person, I was sure that Asher's name and my Woodland baby shower theme were completely innovative. Five years later Asher is a wildly popular name and every freaking thing in Target has a squirrel or a deer on it. Not complaining - I still love what I love with absurd glee. You should see the be-scarved plush critters I got on clearance last week: a-dor-a-bull.

So, the perpetual calendar. Mostly just family birthdays, with a few unusual additions. For example: 7 or 8 years ago, on a foggy morning, I ran over a rabbit on the way to church. In my late teens/early twenties, I frequently cried at the sight of roadkill, so this experience was devastating. In processing my grief and trauma, David and I created Frederich von Bunnington Memorial Day. January 3rd, of course. There is still some confusion as to whether Frederich von Bunnington (RIP) was a hero, a simpleton, or an existential bully. We may never know. But he is remembered, and occasionally toasted with a memorial carrot.

When I was a freshman at BYU, my friends created a calendar of unusual holidays for us to follow, and I am trying to put together some more similar celebratory days for my little family to commemorate. I could see us embracing 'Flip Flop Day' (traditionally in January) a little too easily if current weather trends continue. I may have to go digging through my college memorabilia and see if I still have my calendar - I need more holidays! What would be a good month for 'Treat Yo Self' day? I'm thinking February because February usually blows.

What unique days and events do you commemorate? What new holiday would you institute?

4 comments:

  1. Moment of silence for Frederich von Bunnington.

    How about a No Technology Day? (i.e. put the phones, internet, tv, games, etc. away)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really good information, i like your blog post. Very thanks for sharing ยูฟ่าเบท

    ReplyDelete